Wednesday 1 April 2015

A for Armitstead not Armistead (#AtoZChallenge)

From the earliest Armitstead I've been able to trace he had to deal with the mis-spelling of our name. The Minister wrote on the Marriage register in Kendal entry 201
 William Armistead widower and Eleanor Halliday spinster both of this parish were married in this church by banns this 18th day of November in the year One thousand eight hundred and eleven by me John Sampson Off. Minister.
This marriage was solemnized between us signed Wm. Armitstead and the mark of Eleanor Halliday in the presence of Elizabeth Slee and James Baines.
This had been the case when he married his first wife in 1809 too.
Perhaps the minister wasn't listening to how William said his name. My phonetics teacher at high school asked me to write my name in phonetics. I duly did and was told I was wrong. I suggested to the teacher that she should listen to how I said my name and she then had to agree that I had written my name in phonetics as I said it not how she said it.
We  continue to deal with this error now as no doubt other Armitsteads will confirm.

No comments:

Post a Comment