Sunday 15 March 2015

Is this James Bruton Shearmur and his wife Eliza?


Photographers for this one were H & J Reed  in Tottenham Court Rd from 1872 to 1903. (1)


James William B. Shearmur was born in Mile End Old Town in about 1874 son of James Bruton Shearmur and Eliza Mabbett.
Although James Bruton Shearmur was in Gloucestershire for both the 1871 and 1881 census it looks like he took a trip to London. James Bruton and his wife Eliza Mabbett were not married until 1876 in Dursley, Gloucestershire so perhaps they were in London for the birth of the baby.
From http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ the woman's dress looks like it is an 1870's dress.
As most of the Shearmur's were in Gloucestershire except for Arlette who would have been at least 34. I think the woman in this photo is younger than that so I would like to say this couple is James Bruton Shearmur and Eliza Mabbett but am open to suggestions as to the identity of this couple.
Isn't it fun trying to work out who is in the photos.
Anyone out there who can verify the identity please?


(1) More information about the photographer http://www.photolondon.org.uk/pages/details.asp?pid=6420

4 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your photos Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. I can't believe the treasure trove I've been given access to.

      Delete
  2. Hello! My name is Roger Bruton. I'm researching the BRUTON family name, and I came across your James Bruton Shearmur. Do you have any idea where the link to Bruton started? Thanks for any info! RoGer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Joseph Bruton baptised 1754 Alderley Gloucestershire with parents Joseph Bruton and Rebecca Allin. The Bruton line is included on familysearch.org

      Delete